Operating in an active, energetic, and dynamic environment involving up to two dozen children, this position is responsible for assisting the Youth Activities Coordinator (YAC) with implementing after school and summer youth programs at the Family Investment Center (FIC) of the Kodiak Island Housing Authority (KIHA). Responsible to assist Youth Activities Coordinator (YAC) with the following: plan activities, oversee activities, set up equipment and supplies, supervise youth participating in onsite and offsite activities, prepare daily snacks and meals, and assist in cleaning up activity areas and organizing equipment after activities have ended. This position will be required to fill in for the YAC in the event of their absence.
This position is an Hourly full-time position with a schedule dictated by the needs of the youth program. This varies between the school year and summer break. Some scheduled evening work is required.
Incumbent will be trained by KIHA, at cost to KIHA, to drive the KIHA bus.
What You Will Be Doing
- Supervise youth during activities; Assist youth participating in games, crafts and sports activities by explaining required tasks or rules for the activity. Responsible for providing guidance and direction to youth participants. Responsible for applying consequences that are fair, consistent, and age appropriate. Assist Coordinator with identifying behavioral needs and documenting behavioral issues.
- Responsible for setting up necessary equipment and supplies; properly store and stow when not in use; inspect for safe use.
- Responsible for demonstrating leadership to assure proper conduct, safety, and development of housing participants.
- Assist Coordinator with implementing a literacy development program.
- Responsible for preparing and serving meals for the KIHA youth food assistance program; Responsible for adhering to applicable health and safety guidelines; Responsible for following proper food storage and preparation procedures. Assist Coordinator with developing healthy menus and meal plans that meet appropriate nutritional guidelines.
- Responsible for daily cleanup of kitchen and activity areas of the Family investment center.
- Responsible for promoting and marketing activities to youth participants and families via announcements of upcoming events, with calendars and schedules. Utilize routes of communication available and accessible to service population.
- Responsible for ensuring that youth housing participants have access and support for self-sufficiency development to include: scholarship search, work search, application assistance, etc.
- Responsible for encouraging youth housing participants to participate in a variety of activities promoting healthy life skills and social interactions, including but not limited to: group interaction, anti-bullying, etc. Work in partnership with other community resources.
- Assist Coordinator with social engagement and community relationship building events such as Christmas parties and picnics.
- Responsible for problem solving common tasks through use policy, procedure, and supervisor provided guidance.
- Responsible for taking attendance and recording other information required by the Youth Activities Coordinator. Assist Coordinator with receipt of written consent of parents or guardians for field trips and activities prior to transporting youth to planned activities.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate levels of confidentiality as defined by regulation, policy, and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Youth Activities Coordinator or Service Coordinator.
- Responsible for working professionally and effectively with internal and external partners, applicants, tenants, and participants; Responsible for providing respectful and timely customer service.
- Responsible to promote a safe and drug free work environment.