This position assists and performs a variety of work in the general maintenance and repair of Kodiak Island Housing Authority (KIHA) properties, buildings, facilities, and performs related duties as assigned.
What You Will Be Doing
- General maintenance and repair: Assists Lead and Repairers in ensuring that buildings and equipment are maintained in a safe, clean and orderly condition in accordance with health and fire regulations; monitors maintenance schedules to assure tasks are performed in a timely manner; repairs and treats structures such as floors, showers, sinks, walls, roofs, stairways, and carpets; cleans debris from roof gutters as necessary; troubleshoots, repairs and adjusts locks on doors, cabinets, desks, closets; repairs door hinges; inspects various ventilation units; maintains and services kitchen equipment; arrange for disposal of hazardous waste and chemicals; moves furniture and equipment; opens and closes housing facilities and other site buildings.
- Carpentry: Assists with rough and finished carpentry work in the repair of structures such as partitions, walls, doors, fences, window frames, roofs, office furniture and shelves.
- Glazier: Repairs and replaces windows and panes; replaces window and door hardware; replaces glass for windows, doors, and light fixtures
- Electrical: Assists with electrical repair work in wiring for switches, outlets, plugs, cables, power circuits and appliances; repairs and replaces lighting systems; inspects electrical systems for unsafe conditions; maintains and regularly tests working condition of safety equipment including fire alarm, emergency lighting, and intercom systems.
- Plumbing: Assists with repairing and maintaining plumbing leaks or breaks above and below ground; repairing and maintaining appropriate functioning systems including sewer/supply lines, replacing seals and other minor parts; maintaining all underground water lines.
- Painting: applies and prepares various surfaces for paint, enamel, lacquer, varnish or stain; removes or paints over graffiti; repairs wall coverings.
- Grounds Maintenance: Maintains grounds in clean and orderly manner including mowing, trimming, aerating and fertilizing lawns; sets sprinklers; replaces broken sprinkler heads; weeds; trims tree branches that create hazardous situations; maintains fire lanes around buildings and property; Utilize snow removal equipment (plow trucks, snow blowers, and shovels) to clean debris, snow, and ice from grounds, pathways, driveways, and parking lots.
- Masonry: Assist with laying forms, mixing, pouring, finishing, and repairing concrete for sidewalks, pavers, ramps, and slabs.
- Safety/Security/Sanitation: Assist with reporting and removing any safety hazards; reports and repairs damage to site property; reports unauthorized visitors; secures doors, windows, and grounds; responds to emergency cleanups such as spills and clogged drains.